Monday, August 15, 2011

Andrew Bernhard, 3rd year @ OCPM

So, I’ve been on this site for a couple months now and haven’t really talked about myself much. Also, I now have the opportunity to add posts specifically for the OCPM community. I feel like that’s a bit of a privilege, so I couldn’t pass it up. Now, I’ll use this post to introduce myself to anyone who is reading and state what I plan to do here.
My background is deeply rooted in the sciences. I graduated from John Carroll University in 2007 with a Bachelor of Science degree in biology with a chemistry concentration. I enjoyed my time there and appreciated the broad liberal arts education, while my religious courses taught me to be more open minded. One professor, Dr. Miles Coburn, really influenced my interest in evolution, global climate change, and biodiversity, while John Carroll’s brand new science center provided some sweet facilities.
From 2007 to 2009, I worked at the American Red Cross as a lab technologist. I helped supervise a team that was responsible for maintaining a quality blood supply, through quarantine and labeling. The Red Cross taught me the importance of precision and accuracy in every task, as well as the troubles with multitasking.
Since 2009, I’ve been at school learning how to be a doctor. I do well, academically, but I never worried as much about that. What I am more proud of are my extracurricular activities and relationships. I am the student body secretary, a tutor, teaching assistant, DPM mentor, and, now, professional blogger. I try to give back to the school, and students, as often as possible. Personally, the friendships I’ve built at OCPM, I think, will prove to be lasting.
Outside of school, I love my wife and dogs. I like playing ukulele and reading about science, religion, and rational thought. All very exciting things.
If you’re at OCPM, just say hi. I’m easy to get along with and pride myself on answering any question you may ask. I’m very bald, fairly pale, and I’m usually trying to wear some sort of “ironically funny” tee shirt, or so I’ve been told. I plan on using this site to share goings-on in the OCPM community, interesting journal articles, and other podiatry topics.
Thanks for stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment